Reusable Packaging Systems in Nelson-Tasman
What’s happening today, what’s possible tomorrow?
Report commissioned by Nelson City Council and Tasman District Council
About this report
Reusable Packaging Systems in Nelson-Tasman: What’s happening today, what’s possible tomorrow? provides a qualitative overview of the current scope and future potential of reusable packaging for food, beverage and other household goods in the Nelson-Tasman region, and highlights practical opportunities and recommended actions to grow the uptake of reusable packaging.
Click the cover image below to read the full report.
This report was commissioned by Nelson City Council and Tasman District Council to help inform future waste minimisation planning for the region and to outline practical opportunities and recommendations to support reusable packaging systems in the region.
Reuse Aotearoa undertook both desktop research and interviews with key stakeholders in order to:
- Paint a picture of the current reusable
packaging activity in Nelson-Tasman.
- Outline the benefits, barriers and opportunities to establishing, sustaining and expanding reusable packaging systems in the region
- Recommend actions that local government, businesses and industry groups could take to support the uptake of reusable packaging activity.
The research for this report was completed with the support of Para Kore kaimahi, Lani Rotzler-Purewa.
The report contains four substantive sections:
- Section 2: Scene setting that describes some of the reusable packaging systems in the Nelson-Tasman region for food, beverage and other household products, and in the hospitality sector.
- Section 3: The benefits and barriers to establishing, sustaining and scaling reusable packaging systems in Nelso-Tasman, as described by interviewees.
- Section 4: An overview of the local and national opportunities that could be harnessed to scale and expand reusable packaging activity in the region, as well as practical opportunities highlighted by interviewees.
- Section 5: Recommended actions that could be taken to harness the opportunities to grow reusable packaging. These actions are grouped for local government, for businesses and industry groups working collectively, and for suppliers and producers, hospitality, tourism and accommodation providers, retailers, and the courier/postal service.
Read the full report here.
If you have any queries about our work, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
56D Newton Street
Mount Maunganui New Zealand 3116
(027) 669 6955